Congee (rice porridge or rice gruel) is considered to be the ultimate Chinese comfort food. It is also popular in many Asian countries.
My cook in London introduced me to this fabulous dish. It is light and delicious. Congee is excellent for over all digestive health and to boost energy levels. I had it for lunch today.
Here’s the recipe:
- 1/2-cup basmati/jasmine rice
- 1 medium size onion (finally chopped)
- 2 cloves garlic (finally chopped)
- 2 inches thinly sliced ginger
- 2 pieces of chicken thighs (shredded); note – cook with bones
- 700 ML water
- 1 cube chicken stock
- Salt to taste
- Soak the rice in clean water for 30 minutes before cooking.
- Put all the ingredients, along with the chicken in a pot, and bring it to a boil.
- Reduce heat to low, and keep boiling till the rice thickens and the chicken is well cooked. You may need to add more water in case the rice gets too sticky. The consistency should be similar to that of any porridge. Add salt and stir well.
You can get creative with the porridge recipe. Add your favorite veggies and herbs to enhance the taste and the health quotient. You can also garnish it with Bragg Liquid Aminos (a natural alternative to soya sauce) and fried garlic/fried onions.
I would be happy to know how you liked this. Do leave your comments below.